Friday, January 27, 2012

Staying With the Plan

I clicked on the submit button.  It's official.

Today my trainer, Jesse, told me about another tower race on February 12th.  Until our discussion I was prepared to climb this Sunday at the Aon building, and then next, on February 26th at the John Hancock building.

He strongly encouraged me to register for the Oakbrook climb on the 12th.  At first it sounded like a great idea-- only 31 floors for a total of 680 steps.  Then I heard the complete plan. 

Participants can register to climb the tower one time, two times, three times, or for the "power hour"--as many times as one can climb it in an hour.  Jesse wants me to register for the three times, for a total of 2040 steps.

My response, "Well, one time for 31 floors sounds like a great idea. Maybe I can actually attempt some speed and not just be satisfied getting to the top."

He enthusiastically explained, "Yes, you go all-out as hard as you can the first time, and that's the time you keep.  Then you do the next two times for continued practice.  It will change the way we train for the next two weeks." I'm thinking, yes, way beyond my comfort zone.

I'm not even sure how our conversation ended.  I know I was much less enthusiastic about his plan.

This afternoon I visited the 2012 "Fight for Air" Climb website.  Staring at me were the options for registering--One time, Two times, Three times or Power Hour (for elite climbers.)

My mouse hovered desirously over the "one time," hopefully over the "two times," and tentatively over the "three times." 

There it stayed...click!

Dear Cheryl,

Thank you for registering for the American Lung Association’s Fight for Air Climb at Oakbrook Terrace Tower!

On February 12, 2012, hundreds of people will climb their way to the top of the Oakbrook Terrace Tower for a great cause, lung health. This is more than your same-old 5K. This event is a vertical race to climb 31 floors and 680 steps. Whether you are climbing for a winning time or simply to cross the finish line, this event is a great way to challenge yourself physically. We guarantee that all finishers will have a new found respect for healthy lungs!

I guarantee you I will, especially after the third time!

My inspiration to go for it?  The following quotes:

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them. --Michael Jordan

This is a new year of expecting things of myself.

Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan. --Tom Landry

One of the ways I'd determined to achieve my goal is working with Jesse.  Staying with that plan means following his recommendations.

If you want to play, then practice. If you want to win, then practice harder. --unknown

To prepare for the Aon building on Sunday, I've "practiced," and I'm going to play.  I simply want to make it to the 80th floor. 



If I want to meet my goal
of becoming the fastest woman stair racer in my age group this year,
it's time to practice harder.

--Cheryl








Meals...same old same old.   Workout... Personal Training hour









No comments:

Post a Comment