Saturday, January 14, 2012

Cheat Day

I believe this is what my friends in the fitness world call a "cheat day."  I've never  had a cheat day.  I've experienced cheat days, cheat weeks, cheat months, and cheat years.  I may have even had a cheat decade. However, today is my first cheat day.  Tomorrow I scale back again. 

Food today was shared with a friend of forty-nine years.
Loving and supporting each other since sixth grade,
though living miles apart,
we make it a point to share
a few special meals together each year.

The day started well, with my speciality 1-egg omelette, then moved on later to the following:

Popovers -- Made with Kilgus Farmstead milk and artisan flour, served with sorghum butter.

Gumbo Ya-Ya – Begins with the roux, made in the traditional Cajun style, with Andouille sausage, chicken, and aromatic rice from Arkansas.

Shrimp & Grits -- Gulf gumbo shrimp in house tasso gravy seasoned with Worcestershire sauce, served on creamy heirloom cheese grits.                 -- At least we asked for the gravy on the side!

Coconut Cream Cake with butter roux crème fraiche icing, pineapple conserves, and bitter chocolate.

Evening -- I'll allow a turkey hot dog with relish and onions and call it a day...a very fine day!


Workout
45 minute cardio, stretching

http://bigjoneschicago.com/  
For southern heirloom cooking, visit "Big Jones" at 5347 N. Clark St., Chicago

No comments:

Post a Comment