Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A Bit of Comfort

Something about stuffed peppers makes me very happy.  It's the aroma.  It's the colors.  It's the memories--conscious and subconscious.

Wherever stuffed peppers occurred in my childhood, I am not consciously aware.  I actually have no memory of eating them in my home.  I must have though. 

I do remember working in a restaurant on Rt. 5 & 20 in western New York during my college years.  I'd find rides back to my hometown for the fall weekends in order to work Saturday lunch and dinner shifts and all day Sunday at The Holloway House.  Sunday night, after being on my feet all day waitressing, I'd meet up with my ride back to Houghton College, about an hour and a half away.

Before each shift began, the other waitresses and I filed in one at a time through the back door ready to perform our pre-shift duties--folding napkins, preparing fruit shrubs (dropping scoops of sherbet into tiny palate-cleansers of red punch), making coffee, filling various trays with necessary items, and even tidying bathrooms. 

On our way to these tasks we passed by Bob, the chef who prepared our meal each day.  The waitresses left between the lunch and dinner shift, but Bob always seemed to be there.  We never ate from the restaurant menu.  Bob always prepared a completely different meal for us.  The first time I walked past him tending to a huge pot full of steaming sweet and pungent at the same time, juicy moist peppers, I breathed in a very long breath and exclaimed, "Oh Bob!  Stuffed peppers are my favorite!"

From that time on he was very pleased to make them for me and I was extremely pleased to discover them when I walked in that back door.  Sometimes months kept me at school, but if Bob heard I was going to be home to work in the restaurant, stuffed peppers would be on the stove.

While I remember distinctly telling him they are my favorite, whatever the experiences were that led me to that conclusion have completely escaped me.  However, I know those memories exist in my subconscious, and I know they must be good ones!

I make them once a year, usually when the farmer's market is overflowing with such a bountiful supply that I smell them before I even get to the pepper displays...so smooth, polished by nature, ripe, plump and vibrantly green!  It's that one Saturday of late summer when they are at their peak.  I can't resist filling my basket. 

Traveling kept me from my farmer's market visits last summer.  Then today at Devon Market, it happened.  I walked in the door and immediately picked up the aroma, then the very large display of peppers caught my eye and it was summer--I filled my basket. 

Tonight I filled my pots on the stove, then my plate, then my soul.


Wednesday January 11th

Meals and snacks:
Total, strawberries & blueberries, skim milk.
1/2 of a 6 in. turkey Subway sub--lots of veggies, little low fat mayo
1 small chicken noodle soup--80 calories.
The other half of the 6 inch sub.
A healthy serving of stuffed peppers! (Used ground turkey & brown rice, no sugar.)
1 four oz. glass of wine.

I asked the woman at Subway if I could please take a picture of the sub before she closed it up.
Reluctantly and with a strange look in my direction,  she obliged me!
Workouts:

Training session with Jesse, stretching
Chiropractic adjustment and deep tissue massage.






2 comments:

  1. A favorite of mine too. I don't remember Bob's--but do remember Mom making them (when she didn't want to fuss with cabbage leaves for golumpke). Of course THAT was the real favorite. In case you get the urge, here's a version that avoids pressure cooker:

    1 head cabbage
    1 1/2 lbs ground beef
    2 wholegrain white rice; uncooked
    2 cans tomato soup
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 tbsp brown sugar
    1 tbsp Salt
    1 tbsp pepper

    1. Cut the core out of the cabbage. Find a stock pot that will fit the cabbage, fill 2/3 of the way with water and bring to a boil.

    2. Once the cabbage is boiling lower the temperature to medium high. When you start seeing the outer leaf(s) coming off the head try to peel them away completely. Once boiling the cabbage should boil for another 15-20 minutes while you try to get all leafs separated.

    3. While the cabbage is cooking prepare your meat mixture by adding the beef, rice, 1 can tomato soup, 1/2 c water, salt and pepper to a large bowl.

    4. After 15-20 minutes drain the cabbage leaves and let cool.

    5. In a mixing bowl add the remaining 1 can tomato soup, 1 c water and brown sugar. Mix together.

    6. On a flat surface take 1 cabbage leaf and place with the curling edge is facing up. Holding the back edge of the leaf add 1 heaping spoonful of meat mixture towards the middle of the leaf. Once you've added the meat mixture roll the leaf.

    7. In a crockpot spoon enough tomato soup mixture to cover the bottom.

    8. Place the cabbage rolls in your crockpot. Spoon tomato soup mixture between layers and on top.

    9. Cover. Cook on low for 5 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steve! I've never tried to make them and I know they were a family favorite. That's why I'm not exactly sure why I declared stuffed peppers my very favorite to Bob that day. But they have been ever since.

    I'll have to try the recipe you sent some day, but I'll probably make my own sauce with onions and garlic, etc. :) I always enjoy putting something in the crockpot.

    ReplyDelete