Saturday, January 28, 2012

Packet pick-up today!


Great number to have! 
It represents this year of dedication to becoming a stair racer. 
365 days of dedication!

After claiming my packet... enjoying this sunny Saturday morning shopping at Mertz's Apothecary in Lincoln Square, then next door at one of my favorites, Gallimaufry Gallery.

Gallimaufry was originally a kind of stew, made up of scraps of various kinds, a sea term probably meaning the galley scraps.  Now its meaning is more, "a medley of things."  I enjoy the shop for all the contributing artists' crafts and the owners who are very friendly. After I let them know a little about the person I'm shopping for, they help me find the exact right gift.  Every time.

Across the street it's time to pick up lunch at "Potbelly's."  My intention walking in is to buy a Wreck--a toasted sub of salami, roast beef, turkey, ham and Swiss, with everything on it.  Thank goodness calorie counts are posted.  Discovering the Wreck is 780 calories, I quickly change to a turkey "Skinny"--Less meat and cheese on thin cut bread with 25% less fat than originals--for 300.  Close one.

Later, Harold asks what my plans are for the afternoon.  I think...umm... drinking water!

I prepare for tomorrow.  Writing one last time before my event, my support keeps coming to mind.   On the surface it might appear I'm alone in a crowd of climbers, each one released to climb at 8-second intervals.  In my heart, family and friends walk up those eighty flights with me tomorrow. 

Also, this time Jesse has offered to go up with me after he completes his race with the elite climbers at 8:00!  He wants to be there as moral support.

I'm beginning to realize why I've chosen this particular pursuit. 

     1)  It doesn't take a special skill like shooting a ball in a hoop,
          swinging a gulf club, or the advanced hand-eye coordination
          of so many sports. Being fit and ambulatory goes a long way
          in this endeavor. 
     2)  Perhaps most important for stair racing, I am determined.  I'm
          energized by taking the risk of pushing my (60 year old) body
          and cardiovascular system, and I'm willing to test my limits.
     3)  I'm comfortable with solitary.

However, I carry with me always, each smile, nod, reader, call, card or message, every moment shared together, the love of family, and the support of friends old and new. 

Thank you dear friends for knowing who I am and where I've been.  Thank you for accepting what I've become and allowing me to grow.

I'm privileged to know who you are and where you've been also.  I totally accept who you've become.  I honor you, hold you up, and affirm you as you continue to grow. 

I hope I can be...I want to be... as much of an encouragement to you, as you are to me.

Here we go.

Stepping Up!






Last photo of my meals for awhile.  Only special ones from now on.  I reached my goal for the month of January.  I've set a new one for February, which I'll report at the end of the month.  Tonight enjoying a spaghetti dinner!







No comments:

Post a Comment