Thursday, January 12, 2012

Looking Up

At the end of Pilates today my instructor, Jackie, proclaimed, "I'd venture to say that you did not abhor today's session," with a big smile on her face!

I've never told her that I "abhor" my Pilates sessions.  We have discussed my perspective which is I need to be there, not I want to be there.  I've been known to say things like--This is certainly not fun!  Are we done now? Do we have to do that today?--and more. I didn't quite realize she thought I abhorred the hour.  However, I'll admit, sometimes I do.

The truth is, the workout is grueling...more so for me when I am grossly overweight and not eating properly.  But I don't miss a session.  Before I even move, I sweat from concentrating on all the instructions, many of which have to be done simultaneously:  pull back your ribs, flatten your back, reach your arms long, point your shoulder blades down, lengthen your neck, reach higher to the ceiling, free your knees, pull in your core, eyes straight ahead, don't let the carriage hit on the return, keep the springs steady, don't wobble, twist from your waist...it goes on and on and on, the whole hour.

Today did feel much better.  We laughed and I agreed I did not abhor the session.  I'm feeling results!

Every time we meet I learn one more tip to improve the way I climb stairs.  Imagine your knees not having to work when walking up stairs.  It's entirely possible!  Free your knees...loose...they're there, but not working--all the work is in your thighs, glutes and core, boosting you up, with no sign of tightening around your knees.  Not only do I not abhor this, I love learning to move like this.

Today's final tip, "Always keep your eyes looking straight ahead, up toward the direction you want to go."  It makes so much sense.  Our bodies tend to go where our eyes are looking. For instance, think of when you are driving and you look to the left for too long, your car begins to swerve to the left.  Your body is steering it in the direction of your gaze.

 If I'm climbing stairs and looking down, it may be a small move, but my body will be drawn down causing more work in order to keep ascending.  If I am looking up, it may be a small move, but my body is drawn up--one more tiny wonderful step toward a better climb!

Yes, I actually liked my Pilates session today.


Thursday January 12th


Breakfast:  Here's where the accountability of this blog comes in...I had half a stuffed pepper for
                  breakfast and now I have to post that picture.
Lunch:  1/4 c. tuna and 1/4 c. egg salad, asparagus and pineapple
Dinner:  Small portion chicken breast with spinach, red pepper and bit of cheese, Sweet potato wedge.

Snacks:  I meant to eat ONE piece of a sushi roll (which had fried onions on the top!) but ate two
              pieces at one snack time.  Then two more at another snack time.  And finally two more
              randomly.
Too many snacks, too high in calories, and the absolutely wrong thing for breakfast.  I'm not going to look back though.  My eye is on tomorrow and what a great day it will be eating properly, keeping to my regimen. 


Workouts
Pilates session.


1 comment:

  1. On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Carol wrote:


    So true about the eyes. One can make a horse turn simply by looking in the direction one wants to go – no pulling on the reins. What it takes time for one to accept is that the body weight follows the eyes and it is really that which turns the horse.



    And interesting observation that you didn’t know you were giving away the fact that you did not like the sessions. I wonder how often the “windows of our souls” give away our true feelings when we are trying to convince the listener of the opposite, i.e. “No really, you look great in that (frumpy) dress.”

    ReplyDelete