Saturday, January 7, 2012

Short and Sweet...well, not sweet, healthy!

I hit the stairs today for the first time in a very long time. 
I made it up 360 steps.  The Aon building has over 1,600 steps. 

The Swedish Covenant Hospital stairway where I practice is next door to my gym.  That stairway and I are going to become very good friends over these next three weeks!  I'm thankful I didn't have to check in after my 360 steps today.

Following is online advice regarding training for a stair climb:
"The basic premise is that you must go outside of your comfort zone twice a week for six to eight weeks before the event. The repetitions (in an aerobic excercise that taxes your legs and lungs) must last for at least two to three minutes, and the total time of exertion must exceed your total race time."
Let's just say I was "outside my comfort zone" after step number 75 today! 

Following is a report from the Willis Tower 2010 stair race (formerly known as the Sear's Tower.)
http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chicago/news.aspx?id=173165&print=1
My trainer, Jesse, won the event. This article is about the elite runners, not my category--I walk.  However, I particularly enjoy this quote from the article:

Runners' lungs burn as they work frantically to get oxygen into the bloodstream. Meantime, lactic acid builds up in muscles, an after-product of their aerobic energy-processing.

“Your brain is getting messages from the legs saying there's too much acid plus you're way overheated,” says Glassey. “Then the brain says 'let's check the lungs' and the lungs can't keep up. So the brain checks the heart which says 'I'm givin' it all I got Cap'n.' Finally brain says 'I'm making an executive decision and it's time to shut it all down.'”

That first wave of pain gives way to a sort of second wind. The body can and does process some of the lactic acid that muscles accumulate as fuel, and when that happens, the runner feels good again, something that can last for 10 or 20 floors. “The first wall is a false wall,” and then there's that second wind, says Glassey. “The second wall comes on when the body realizes it can't process all the lactic acid and the muscle temperature is so high.” Elite runners are able to push through this second wall and still keep their speed to the end.

My plan is to keep MY SPEED of exercise and healthy eating to the end.


Saturday January 7th

8:30     1-egg omelette, onions, spinach, garlic, salsa, blueberries & strawberries
Noon   1/4 c. tuna, 1 lg. apple, 1 oz. colbyjack cheese
3:30     2 Melba toast, tsp. Polish cherry preserve on each, 1/2 tsp. queso dip on each
6:30     Brown rice medley/lettuce/tomato/last of leftover chicken chile/dab of non-fat plain
             yogurt/balsamic vinigar
Water with Lemon all day.



Workouts
25 min. Cardio warm-up, stretching, and 360 steps.








No comments:

Post a Comment