Friday, January 6, 2012

Inspiration--Life is full of so many things we GET to do!

Yesterday I outlined my training plan, including the following:

"I'm also looking for inspiration-- from others of all ages who have set priorities in order to compete in athletic events."

Already, inspiration is appearing all around!


First I received an email from a friend recommending joining her in a 30 day challenge--releasing (completely getting rid of) at least one negative emotion/thought each day for thirty days!


Then at the gym this morning I learned of a 66 year old gentleman who will begin participating in cycling races this year for the very first time!  He always loved cycling, but in the past had not ever competed.  Furthermore, he is training for this with all confidence in spite of limitations from past injuries and a prosthetic shoulder.


Finally, as we worked out, my trainer shared with me his experiences in Triatholons.  At one point he said, "What I really love about Triatholons is that just when I'm finishing up with the swimming, feeling like I really don't want to swim anymore, then I get to ride my bike.  And just when I'm finishing up the biking, feeling like I really don't want to do it anymore, then I get to run!"


He joyfully relayed this with a smile on his face.  What inspiration!  Instead of tiring while swimming and thinking, "Oh now I have to bike on top of this," and instead of tiring while biking and thinking, "Oh now I have to run on top of this," he thinks, "Great, now I get to bike!" or "Great, now I get to run!"


He also told me of an elite stair racer, Terry Purcell, who won almost every event he entered. One time in the 80-flight stair climb at the Aon building (where I'll participate on Jan. 29th) he actually ran the event two times in a row and took 1st and 2nd place!


The elite climbers go out first, just as elite marathon runners do. They run up the stairs, skipping steps, one foot down on each landing, using the rail strategically to pull themselves up sometimes as they go.  The following video is a glimpse into their world (my trainer is Jesse, #127 in this video).



While I won't be running up the stairs, I still gather inspiration from those who do.  Right now I simply want to know how it feels to get to the 80th floor.  When I know that, I can move forward with whatever I need to do next to begin getting better and better times.  Ultimately over this year, my goal is to become the best woman in my age group!


Friday Jan. 6, 2012

8:30     1-egg omelette--mushrooms, onions, spinach, 1 spoon salsa,
         1/2 tsp. olive oil

12:00   1/4 c. tuna salad, 1/4 c. egg salad, 1/2 apple, few blueberries
          and strawberries
          (tiny bit of mayo in tuna and egg salad, mostly dry)

3:30     1/2 c. chili from night before--ground chicken, beans and
          vegetables

6:00     Small Thai Chicken lettuce salad with vegetables.  No croutons
          & and no peanut sauce.

8:30     3 small natural crackers--thin coating plum spread and
          nibble of goat cheese on each


Workouts: 
90 minutes--1 hr. & 15 minutes with personal trainer.  
            15min. stretching.  

    





No comments:

Post a Comment