Friday, February 10, 2012

Though your wings are on fire, Don't look down.

Planning for Sunday's thirty-one flights, times three. 

Soaring alone upon a threatening wind
Just fix your eyes on the horizon

All together, ninety-three flights sound overwhelming, as does the total of 2040 steps. 

Cut off from everything
You've known or have been
I shouldn't think it's so surprisin'

Thirty one floors at a time though, sounds fun in comparison!  I'll take the elevator down each time after reaching the 31st floor...a nice rest.

Spiraling upward on a freshening lift
Reaching the realms of fleet Apollo

My strategy this time is to not stop at all for each repetition of the  thirty-one floors.  The first time up, I plan to take a brisk pace, hopefully running the last few floors. 

You have been given the most sacred of gifts
You must be fearless now and follow

Forty-eight hours later, I will search  "race results"  for women in my age group to find out where I place.  Two weeks ago, climbing eighty flights for the first time, I had no plan or concern for the time it took.  This is different. 

I've changed.

Don't look down
Though your heart may be weary
Don't look down
Though your wings are on fire
Don't look down
Though the night may seem endless
There's a reason you're flying
This fast and this far

Having discovered I can do this,  each climb going forward will pose an opportunity for improvement.  I'll take fewer and shorter rests, picking up my pace a bit more each time.

From my blog title...shifting perspective, climbing higher, celebrating love and joy!... faster!

Let your faith be your strength
And your love be your guiding star

I'll search race results with new anticipation. 

Venturing further than
The length of your sight
Out past the reach of your beginnings
There is a gamble in each
Proud act of flight
But the losses pale before the winnings

As my own personal times improve with each climb, one by one I will tick off the competition.  Climbing not only the stairs, but also climbing up the list of women in my age group...closer and closer to my goal.

Circling and diving with this
Freedom you've found

one by one...

Illusion blows apart and scatters
There is no darkness in this place
That we're bound

ascending...

Love is the only thing that matters

...one step at a time.


Don't look down
Though your heart may be weary
Don't look down
Though your wings are on fire
Don't look down
Though the night may seem endless
There's a reason you're flying
This fast and this far


Song Lyrics:  Icarus Ascending by Dan Fogelberg



No comments:

Post a Comment