Sunday, February 12, 2012

Learning!

Had to pose five times and then finally ham it up, trying to hide my fatigue for the picture! 
Taken thirty minutes after the climb, it still shows in my eyes though.



THREE LESSONS

1)  Next time, do not start off the race running! 
     At least not now...maybe someday, but I'm not ready yet. 

My favorite tunes are in my ears standing in line waiting to start.  They are allowing I-Pods in the stairwell after all.  Fact is, I've been pumped listening to them the whole hour previous to the start.

It's a beautiful bright, clear, sunny day.  My early start means no chaos, no long lines, no commotion.  All is calm.  Pumped.  Ready.  Counting down the 10 seconds after the racer ahead of me starts--I'm... so... ready...   "Go!"

I take off running up the steps.  Feeling light.  Feeling the music.  Flying! 
Two floors are nothing.
Three, four, still flying.
Five -- high on the lightness of being able to run up the stairs. 
Six, starting to slow down a bit. 
Ok, seven...maybe time to walk a bit. I'm sure that's all it will take to get my breath back... reign it in... friggin' find it! 
Eight, not going to give up.  I can run again--up to the first water stop at floor 10 ... go,  go...

Unfortunately, from here on, I pay for all the time I made in my almost 10-floor run.  I pay, with a breathing pattern like none I've ever experienced before -- beyond uncomfortable, straining to the max.  I keep a steady pace, but no longer running.  Determined not to take any long breaks, I don't allow more than a few seconds, time and again, to lean on the wall, hoping for some calm. 

It doesn't come.  I never catch my breath, not even a little bit. The whole way is a struggle.  Not my legs, just my breathing...deep hard, super fast, by the time I get to the top, painful.  What's incredible to me is that "the top" is only floor 31!

Two weeks ago I emerged at the top of the Aon building at floor 80, not struggling, not in any kind of pain whatsoever.  Rather, I was elated, felt fantastic, and my breathing was normal in a matter of seconds. 

Today I exit at floor 31 coughing, hard hacking coughing, throat and chest on fire, too dizzy to even notice the medals they are handing out to each finisher.  I use every bit of will power I can possibly muster up to keep walking to the elevator, on two feet and not losing my breakfast...till I make my way to Harold waiting on the first floor.

Collapsing on a lobby planter, I hear his words, "How was it?" 

All I can do is make feeble hand motions, through my coughing, indicating I cannot talk right now.

I'm recording all this in vivid detail, because I need to learn these lessons, today. 

Review --  first lesson is, do not start off the race running!  At least not now...maybe someday, but I'm not ready yet.



2)  Spend more time in the gym these next two weeks before the
     94-floor John Hancock building climb.

Before the Aon building I logged many more workouts per week then I did these last two weeks.  Harold says, "If you really want to be the best woman in your age group, then you have to be dedicated to daily workouts. Plural. No letting up."  He's right.  I felt the difference today.

Review -- second lesson is, plan daily multiple workouts and keep schedule.



3)  What we put into our bodies is no joke.  Back to no sugar.  It
     makes a huge difference.

Again, as with the workouts, I let down my resolve these last two weeks.  Sugar re-entered my diet. I'm learning exactly why every single food or drink must be chosen for it's benefits.  Period.  Right now, there needs to be no other reason for eating.  If I'm going to ask my body to perform, then I must give it the proper fuel. 

Review -- third lesson is, proper fuel.  No sugar.  Follow Jesse's dietary recommendations.


I choose not to climb the tower today for a second and third time -- the first time finished me.  Disappointed I cannot go through with the complete plan for today, I don't ever want to be in this position again. 

Lessons 1, 2 and 3 are hard-earned. 

It's time to make it worth having learned them.






2 comments:

  1. Keep up the hard work. I know you signed up for this one as preparation and practice for the next one . So you got some more practice and ideas. I like your music choices, I have similar music taste. When I run I like jailbreak from thin lizzy or jailbreak from acdc! Ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah! You're right, I couldn't have asked for a better learning experience. I'll check out your suggestions on I Tunes

    ReplyDelete