Thursday, February 16, 2012

Fall Seven Times, Stand Up Eight

                                                                                                                                                           ~~a Japanese Proverb

Photo taken at the St. Louis Botanical Gardens
Monday and Tuesday I sailed through the workouts--two each day.  Today I seem to barely limp through one.  This morning everything burns and breathing is an issue.

As I log this journey, training to be competitive in my age group at tower racing, the questions arise.  Did I get enough sleep? Though I was careful about food choices, did I err somehow?  Am I stressed?  Why the change?  Am I too old to work this hard?

Ha, the answer is definitely,"No," to the last question!  Too many others have done it and continue to do it, remaining very physically fit, well into their older years. 

A seventy-three year old woman climbed the 80 floors of the Aon building a few weeks ago, in nineteen minutes.  She was faster than all of the women in the 60 - 70 yr. old bracket.

She was also faster than more than half of the men in the 20 - 30 yr. old bracket!

Perhaps this is one of those days when there are no satisfying answers.  But rather, one simply has to push through.  Uncomfortable as it is, confusing as it is, just keep showing up.

Tomorrow 9:00 a.m. at the gym, it's another day.

I'll be there.





Wednesday Meals
Granola/fruit/skim milk
Salmon tostada
Muscle milk lite, mixed nuts & cranberries
Whole wheat spaghetti & meat sauce--1/3 of a portion, salad and bruschetta (restaurant meeting)

Thursday Meals
Omelette
Leftover salmon/potatoes and fresh vegetable Minestrone soup
Muscle milk lite, cracker thins
Supper...to be determined

Workout
Personal Training session

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing. I could never do that. We're all here cheering you on!
    V

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Virginia!

    Today is indeed a new day. I'm learning to let go of judgement...judgement of others and of myself. It feels so much lighter.
    I love the sharing and support -- it is so encouraging.

    ReplyDelete