Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Is It Even Possible To Do Better? -- Part 3

From self-help, motivational, and inspirational speakers, books, and programs, to the enormous weight loss industry; from fitness instructors and trainers, to counselors and therapists, teachers and coaches, to schools, religions, and sciences--we are an industrious people who count on the premise that one can do better. We preach it, we sell it, we buy it.  A part of each heartbeat hints our possibilities, like a clock ticking relentlessly.  We can tune it out, or we can listen, and act, before our time runs out.
 
When my times in the stairwell aren't improving, discouraged, I ask the question.  When I revert to former, uninspired ways, I ask the question. When I do not see the progress I'd hoped to see, I ask the question, "Is it even possible to do better?"
 
Then the answers come flying in, like special messenger doves.  I remove the pigeon posts--small tubes--from their legs and extract the light, thin, rolled-up paper. Spreading it open between my fingers, I read the first one:
 
 
Then the second:
 
 
And the third:
 
 
 
Well, OK, they found their way to me from the Internet. Technically there were no messenger doves.
 
Refusing to let doubts sap anymore energy, I accept who I am, and where I am in this process.  It may not be where I envisioned six months ago, so I adjust.  It's my journey. I accept. I forgive. I move on.
 
Having asked the question, the answer I already knew is affirmed. 
 
I sing my song: 
 
"I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday."
 
 
 
Yes, I can do better.
 
 
 
P.S.  This morning Jesse (my trainer) shared an inspiration from a recent sermon he heard about change. A piece of it served as one more messenger dove today.  Paraphrased:  If you keep getting on the blue line (one of Chicago's transit rail lines) you can never reach a destination which is only served by the green line! 
 
I've switched tracks...TODAY began my two-a-day workouts, leading up to November 4th.  First one was at 8:45 a.m. Sure felt good when the second one was over at 7 p.m. tonight!
 
 
 
**********
 
 
 
 
Photos from moments of anticipation before a climb:
 
Getting in line at the John Hancock building.   2/12
 
Leaving for the cab over to the Stratosphere.  3/12

 
Thrilled at the surprise shirts my family wore ("Team Cheryl") to support my climb.  2/11





 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment