Wednesday, October 20, 2010

"What if I told you that instead of gettin' older, I was gettin' younger than everybody else?"

--Benjamin Button

My youngest child, Harold M., called me in March of 2009 to ask, "Mom, do you think this is a good time for me to buy a house?"  He already had his answer.  In his second year of teaching high school, having lived with fraternity brothers for two years after college, with their lease expiring in May, he already saw himself owning a home. 


He visualized the tax rebate he'd receive, the new rental lease he would not have to sign, and the real estate advice he would gather from his fraternity connections.  He imagined himself driving a small moving truck directly from his current apartment to his own home in exactly ten weeks...the time necessary to have everything fall into place smoothly!


He and his fiancee began to research homes for sale and in an incredibly short window of time, signed owner's documents on their home in Fishers, before his rental lease was up that May.


Was it the innocence of youth?  Optimism?  Luck? 
Or, a focused intent, an uncluttered mind, taking one step at a time toward meeting his goal--toward creating the reality he envisioned?


One could argue it was all of these.  However, knowing my son, it was definitely the latter.


As a six year old, he stepped back behind the three-point line to sink a basket in the final seconds of a basketball game when three points were required to win--the beginning of many such moves in his elementary career!  As a high school junior and senior, he decided he wanted to play Division I Soccer in college.  He gave up basketball to concentrate on soccer, played and trained all year long including winters and summers, and networked at IU Soccer Camp.  He went on to play Division I soccer as a walk-on at Butler University. 


Now I'm stepping back behind the three-point line.  For me, winning is moving up to a whole new level of fitness.  The three-point basket required for that win is my goal of hiking the mountain.  I see myself ascending the trail, scrambling around rocks, climbing, as clearly as he saw the long arc of the ball leading to the swish of the net.


I see the training and results which will prepare me for my "Division I" experience.  As clearly as Harold M. driving a moving truck from a rental to the doorstep of the home he owns, I am in the driver's seat of this preparation, focused on owning that mountain--altitude an all!


Focused intent,
an uncluttered mind,
one step at a time.


Wednesday Oct. 20, 2010
Worked out with Donna--Elevated treadmill, biceps, triceps, back, leg muscles and core--circuits with no down-time in between each.  Chiropractic adjustment in p.m.

Best Protein boost after a workout!  No sugar, only 100 calories AND tastes good!  Can be ordered online and I noticed recently that Walgreens and Sam's Club carry it now too.

No comments:

Post a Comment