Wednesday, October 27, 2010

8. Wednesday Vignettes From The Gym


1) Oblivious runner with headphones on, singing out loud.

Every time he laps me, I get to play Name That Tune. Today he belted out, "Stopped into a church I passed along the way, Oh, I got.. down.. on.. my.. knees, and I pretend to pray." (I always thought it said, "...I began to pray." Looked it up though and he was right!) Next lap he's onto, "And I will always love you." Of course after his run, he slips on bright neon orange and yellow camouflage pants! He always makes me smile, but I have to say, there is nothing camouflaged about this dude.

2) Shout out for Technology!

New treadmills--I'm beginning to use the incline feature, and this new machine actually brings up a picture of a mountain on the screen--I can watch myself climbing up the mountain!! At this point I am at the very base, but it will be interesting to watch as I increase my incline and pace over these next months and get to watch my dream of climbing the mountain in living color as I workout!

3) More Technology

In addition to recording my heartrate while I'm on the inclined treadmill, four categories are posted, with my required heartrate for each one:

1) Low Impact workout 2) Heart Healthy 3) Endurance Training 4) I forget this one! (It's number three I'm going for anyway.)

As I'm working out, my recorded heartrate appears in one of these four categories. In the Endurance Training category, my heartrate needs to fall between 133 and 152. Easy to understand, it's a great tool to insure I'm working at the necessary pace!

4) My Favorite Couple

A husband and wife who work out together every morning--advanced seniors--provide ongoing inspiration. For some reason, she is only comfortable in a dress. Therefore, that's what she works out in! They row together, spin together, and stretch on the mats together. Then the best part--before they leave, they always go into the gym, and dance. There are no songs playing, but when I see the way they move across the floor in each other's arms, I know they are dancing to their own music.


1 comment:

  1. Forgot to include workout at the end of this blog. Similar to Monday workout, but increased time on cardio by five minutes each segment. Also, increased weights from 8 lbs. to 10 lbs. on chest press, biceps, triceps. And, comment: 60 seconds is a long time on each of the ab exercises!! I'm going to have to work up to it...only successful today for the full 60 sec. on the plank hold.

    ReplyDelete