Monday, July 16, 2012

Preparation - Birth To This Season

In preparation for November 4th's stair climb at Willis Tower, I created a series of goals I will meet in three 40-day increments.

Willis?  "Whatchu talkin' bout Willis?!"  The Sear's Tower, which has been re-named the Willis Tower,  is the skyscraper my husband climbed the morning after our first child was born.   Actually he took the elevator, but it was still pretty cool...

October 3rd, 1977 Matt is born at 11:00 p.m., followed by the usual hustle-about, elated phone calls, and precious moments. Finally settled in my Michael Reese Hospital room, wide awake for the night, I watch the sunrise through the huge picture window overlooking Lake Michigan.  Such beautiful new energy welcoming our son into the world! Kissing Harold goodbye, he's off to tend the day's obligations, till a lunchtime return.   I discover every "first" moment with our son--first sounds, moves, touches, smells, and first time singing my homemade lullaby to his soft tiny face looking up from my arms. Little do I know, Harold is looking out over the city of Chicago from the 103rd floor of the Sear's Tower.

"Roots" aired that January on television and Harold is thinking of the scene where Omor holds his newborn son up to the sky and proclaims, "Kunta Kinte - Behold the only thing greater than yourself!"

He wants to be as close to the sky as possible and realizes the Sear's Tower is the way to get there.  From the very top, Harold looks up to the sky and declares, "I have a son! I have a son!"

If the only way to reach the 103rd floor that day had been the stairs, he would have run them!

...the time it took for this reminiscence distracted my mind from the Ultra Shake I'm drinking.  I felt like a lab scientist making it, so was doubtful this drink with oils, powders and seeds could taste good.

After the first few sips, it grew on me.  By the end, I enjoyed it!

More tomorrow about my first 40 day goals...and why 40 days.  Today however, I embark on the first of a seven-day detox and replacement therapy--from Mark Hyman, M.D.

Big shopping day yesterday
gathering everything I need!

For breakfast every day,
and afternoon snack if hungry.
I use frozen blueberries--yum! 
Ice is optional...
it's smoother without the ice.


Ultra Broth
3 quarts water
1 large chopped onion
2 sliced carrots
1 cup of daikon or white radish root and tops (ideal, but optional)
1 c. of winter squash cut into large cubes (like acorn)
1 cup of root vegetables:  turnips, parsnips, and rutabagas for sweetness
2 cups of chopped greens:  kale, parsley, beet greens, collard greens, chard, dandelion, cilantro, or other greens
2 celery stalks
1/2cup of seaweed:  nori, dulse, wakame, kelp, or kombu
½ cup of cabbage
4  ½-inch slices of fresh ginger
2 cloves of whole garlic (not chopped or crushed)
Sea salt to taste
If available, you can add 1 cup of fresh or dried shiitake or maitake mushrooms.

Add all ingredients at once and place on a low boil for 60 minutes or longer to desired taste.  Cool, strain (throw away the cooked vegetables) and store in a large, tightly sealed glass container in the fridge.

Heat gently and drink at least 3 – 4 cups a day.



--from “The UltraSimple Diet, Kickstart Your Metabolism…in 7 Days” by Mark Hyman, M.D.

~~~~~~~




It feels good to be cooking with so many fresh vegetables.
However, the seaweed?
Not used to it in my soup.
I think it's an acquired taste, which I suppose I'll acquire
since it's on the menu every day this week!

Each of these seven days will start with drinking the juice of half a lemon in 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, followed by 20 - 60 minutes of Yoga, at least 30 minutes of writing, and then the juice of the other half of the lemon with hot water.  Next, a cup of green tea, and finally the Ultra Shake for breakfast.



If my final goal is to climb the Willis/Sears Tower on November 4th with a different body than the one I climbed with last season, I believe this is a great way to start the change! 

 

This will be my highest climb ever,

and I've been told the steps are steep.














































No comments:

Post a Comment