Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Being Yourself, the Best Miracle

I recently viewed a video about the making of  "The 41st Day,"  a documentary following Ryan Hall this year as he prepares for the Olympics, up through the day he competes as an Olympic marathoner.  Inspired by the film's explanation for its title, I immediately checked the calendar to see exactly how many days I had before the Willis Tower stair climb on November 4th.

In the video Ryan explains that the documentary title arose from a conversation he and the producer had after Ryan read him the Bible story of David and Goliath.  This caught my attention.  It's quite rare to hear the sentence Ryan spoke to the producer in the video, "Remember that night when we were sitting around and I was reading you the story of David and Goliath?"

A quick summary:
In the story, two armies face each other, ready for battle on opposite sides of a steep valley. The Philistine, Goliath, referred to as a giant (over 9 ft. tall) in full armor, came out each day for forty days and taunted the Israelites--mocking and challenging them to fight. This evidently inspired great fear.  However, when David was sent to the front lines by his father, to find news of his older brothers, he heard Goliath's defiance and immediately began to persuade King Saul to let him fight the giant.  On the 41st day David approached Goliath, unarmed except for his slingshot. "You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty..." One of his stones found a hole in Goliath's armor (forehead?) and he fell to the ground as David moved in for the kill. The Philistines retreated and became easy targets for the Israelite army. 

I divided the days between watching Ryan's video and my participation in the Willis Tower stair climb into three, forty-one day periods.  In order to reach the goals I set for each of the three "41 day" periods, my plan is to walk each day in confidence toward the goals, rather than languish in fear.  I could look back upon my past and define so many moments as inactive because of one fear or another.  That is over.  

Maybe it took me longer to get to the front lines.  But I'm there now, I've observed the giant, and I'm ready to fight.  As uncharacteristic as it is, for me to use army/battle/fighting analogies, it definitely works for my current inspiration.  

I close with an online commentary's summary:

• David chose not to wear the King's armor because it felt cumbersome and unfamiliar. David was comfortable with his simple slingshot, a weapon he was skilled at using. God will use the unique skills he's already placed in your hands, so don't worry about "wearing the King's armor." Just be yourself and use the familiar gifts and talents God has given you. He will work miracles through you.

My fight is not with a sword, or even a slingshot, but rather with honesty, creativity, hard work, compassion, dedication, and the desire to walk in love and joy, not in fear.

~~~~~~

Second day of detox...still not used to all the straight fresh lemon juice!  Enjoying the Ultra Shake...blueberries and banana today instead of strawberries, along with the almond butter, ground flax seed, borage oil and protein powder (recipe on yesterday's blog.)

Climbed stairs yesterday and today...whoa, the heat at the top on the last two floors--yikes, sucking very hot air!  Each day increasing the amount of floors I can double-step. Yes!

So many vegetables!  A friend shared that the reason I'm so very full on this simple, healthy diet, is that my metabolism isn't working properly.  The good news is, that's what this diet is for--to boost it!



Lunch - 1/2 c. brown rice & 2 c. vegetables.
Supper - same, but add organic chicken breast or fish.






4 comments:

  1. Go Cheryl!!

    Oh, I need to watch Ryan's documentary. I am sure it is just fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not finished yet because it will go through his performance at the Olympics. However, there are several videos on youtube about the making of it while it's in progress now.

      Delete
  2. The reason you're full is all the nutrients and fiber, not a bad metabolism. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right of course. The good news is that after several days eating that way I no longer felt so stuffed...seemed to handle it much better. Prior to the detox I think my metabolism, along with everything else, was a bit sluggish...if that's possible?

      Delete