Thursday, March 15, 2012

Shifting Energy

Page from "In My Window,"
an early childhood book I wrote a few years ago.
Changing a bedtime and
rising-time should be easy, correct?  There can be ripples, accidental consequences, complications.  

I always thought of myself as a late night person, relishing those hours hidden from the day.  If pushed to say more, I'd reveal they feel stolen away from life, like my own special time wandering through the minutes without boundaries.  It's who I am, and who I'm thought to be.

I understand that my plan to be in bed at 9:45 and rise at 5:45 is accepted less than fully.  It's the same "grain of salt" which was in the air last November when I announced, "I'm going to become a competitive athlete."  So many years of staying up late and not exercising, naturally leads those who know me well to different conclusions.

My role fits into a neat little box, next to everyone else's role in each of their boxes, and we stack up however we stack up.  Regardless, it's what we do. 

Inevitable consequences when change occurs?  Yes.
Inevitably negative?  Doesn't have to be.

I met my goals... 1) of improving with each tower race this year, and  2) I topped the list of competitors in my age group in the race last Sunday.

Peers have asked how my knees hold out with all the stair climbing.  I've deduced that not having exercised for fifty-seven years actually leaves my knees in great shape for a sixty year old to be climbing stairs!  Likewise, my new theory is -- having never been disciplined about a regular bedtime, or exercise and proper healthy meals all these years, leaves me with an extraordinary amount of energy to apply to a regular bedtime, exercise and proper healthy meals!

I'm aware conventional reasoning proposes all these years of one behavior make it more difficult to change.  I am not conventional.  In truth, no one is...but that's another entry. 

We are each a glowing mass of energy. 

Cheers to no more boxes!



P.S.  And my blog written by 8:00 a.m.!





No comments:

Post a Comment