Tuesday, January 11, 2011

26. By the Light of the Moon -- it's Silver Crescent Bright

TODAY'S BREAKFAST

"How nice it is for you now, to have such a change in your life!"

This was the response of my upstairs neighbor upon hearing of my severly unfit and overweight past, as well as my current goals of climbing/hiking a mountain and participating in the John Hancock stair climb.

I assumed she meant the change of having all my children grown and the time to spend on these endeavors.  However, she explained, "No, I mean the change for you--now you get to be an athlete."

Never had I heard the word athlete in reference to me.  Over the next few minutes I realized that, indeed, I am training to do something athletic--to be an athlete! 

Fitcamp started yesterday. Three outstanding trainers, people you want to know and have as friends, have a dream.  I have a dream.  It just so happened that the timing on both of our dreams coincided!

Rhonda, Carisse and Palani began their new venture called  fitcampSD  on New Year's Day, at least the part of it which entails the actual workouts.  Months of planning and years of preparation brought them to that moment.  Each is trained, skilled and certified in various physical fitness strategies.  They have years of experience in the field.  They also have a heart for people and for making the world a better place.

I began my fitness journey forty-two months ago.  For three years I learned what it is to experience going to a gym regularly, to follow a trainer's instructions, to step, lift, kick, lunge and stretch with a group class, and to pick myself up after falling off the proverbial wagon!  After ups and downs, gains and losses, frustrations and elations I kept coming back.

Long story short--when I contemplated turning 60 in Oct. 2011, I decided the time for ups and downs is over.  Now it's time for a focused "straight ahead."  Straight ahead toward a goal, each step I take informs me of the next, and prepares me for the mountain hike/climb in October.  More importantly, this is training to become all that I can be, not only for myself, but for my family, my friends, my community and the world around me.  A healthy body plays a most vital role.

Many think it strange to have flown from Chicago to San Diego to work out.  I see it as the next step toward a goal, just as Rhonda, Carisse and Palani see each workout as the next step toward their goals.  The paths to our dreams crossed, bringing us all to last night's stretches, lunges, push-ups and leaps in Mission Bay Park by the water, under a light, on the grass, on dewy mats, with increased heart rates and the joy of living.

This morning as I rose from bed to contemplate my morning workout, I'll admit I had to find the ibuprofen bottle first.  But then I wall-squatted and planked and was on my way again through another workout,  followed by my reward--a two mile walk along the beach with the sun seeping into my shoulders and back, and a clear blue sky above the tops of the palm trees!

The prospect of doing this over and over, morning and night for the next thirty days is a bit overwhelming if I don't think of myself as an athlete.  If I do, I'm simply burning rubber on the road to reaching my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment