Saturday, January 8, 2011

24. "Fly away, fly away, close my eyes and I can fly away..."


Joni Mitchell’s singing “Ca-li-for-nia…I’m coming home, I’m gonna see the folks I dig... " on my I-Pod, flying west, clear and bright with purpose.

Next Leslie and Steve sing about walking this world looking for light, “Where are the strong, who are the trusted, and where is the harmony…sweet harmony…” while I spoon up unsweetened applesauce and crunch “simply naked” bagel chips dipped in lemon and pepper tuna (United's “Lite Snack.”) I must mention, crunching bagel chips with earphones on, sounds like an army of boots marching through fields of broken ice inside my head!

I haven’t felt this exact exhilaration since my early twenties when I left college for a time, packed all my earthly belongings into my pale blue Volkswagen bug, and headed west-- destination unknown, just west. See you on the dark side of the moon!

The difference is, then I was trying to find myself-- searching by throwing myself into the world and seeing what stuck! Now, I know myself, I know life, love and sorrow.  I know what it is to give myself away purposefully, to accept responsibility, to be careful when necessary, to defer dreams, to live dreams, to share adventures, to build a life, nurture a family, and join a community.

Some of these lessons came more easily than others. Leslie’s singing, “…Whatever spins a grim tornado, can also turn a potter’s wheel…”  I’ve spun some grim tornadoes in my time, haven’t we all! 

This time I head west, not to find myself, not to “see what sticks,” but rather, to give and receive mutually, interconnected with the land, the people, the circumstances, and opportunities all around. Expressing love, becoming all I can be-- the whole self I was created to be, I’ll find direction one step at a time.  I'm awed by the love of my family and friends, the strength which holds me up, allowing continual discoveries.

Thank you!

In two more hours I’ll get out of a cab on San Luis Rey Boulevard, the driver will lift two heavy suitcases from the trunk and place them in front of a gate. I’ll use the combination given for the lock box of my beach rental in Mission Bay, San Diego. I’ll walk through the gate, across my patio and into the next five weeks of my life.

I’m coming to you from thousands of feet in the sky, dipping my naked bagel chips into the can of lemon pepper tuna which looks like cat food, and sipping my “Sunrise Sunset” cocktail, because I am celebrating the beginning of this journey-- flying west with the sun, listening to every note of inspiration.

Pink Floyd just said, “I’m not afraid of dying,” then (The Great Gig in the Sky) wails out the most inspired three minutes and thirty-six seconds of wailing, period, ever...  So glad I finally discovered this I-pod world.

The adventure begins.

Written Saturday, 1 p.m.

Once unpacked, walked three miles exploring. (As well as trying to find a "Trader Joe's" to stock the kitchen.)
Tomorrow is a day of rest, then two workouts/day begin on Monday.
Goals:
1) Reach the proper readiness level for the race up the stairs of the John Hancock building on Feb. 27th, 
2) Establish a healthy pattern of exercise, and a nutritionally sound, well- balanced eating plan as a new lifestyle.
3) Have fun doing it!


Dinner Tonight

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy the Journey for that is the spice of life. Looking forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete