Monday, January 10, 2011

25. We All Watch the Same Sun


Sunday:  Walked the path along Mission Bay today, shopped at oceanside beach stores, talked with shop owners, walked the beach and made an appointment with my first sunset of this journey.

My deck, at home before I left Chicago.
I walked out of my San Diego place this morning, layered as if I was still in Chicago. Ten minutes into the walk, I  began removing them one by one.   San Diego has experienced record highs this time of year in the 80's, but over these next few weeks the highs forcast are between 64 and 68 degrees.  Considering the highs forecast for Chicago this coming week between 17 and 28 degrees, I am not complaining!

A handsome young Australian rang up my purchase this morning in his beachfront store.  I commented on how nice the weather was and how I'd worn too many layers thinking it would be colder.  He remarked that, he too, had done the same.  His next remark surprised me.

"Now I'm stuck though.  I made the mistake of putting on a tank top underneath.  So if I take off my sweatshirt, I'll have to hold in my stomach all day!"

I didn't think I'd heard him correctly.  It was exactly the kind of statement I might make.  I looked across the counter more carefully, and still only saw a handsome looking young man, certainly not overweight!  I replied something about men not really having to worry about that. 

He assured me, "Oh yes we do.  Especially as we get older, you know?"  Again, something I do indeed know, but was quite amazed to be hearing it from him.

We continued our chat pleasantly and I was on my way. 

I'm always trying to remember how we are all connected, how we all have fears, anxieties, misgivings, and regrets, as well as successes, accomplishments and good fortune.  There is not one set of privileged people who get to skip over all the negatives. 

Why can't we each be more aware of our common traits and trials, and less strident about our differences?  Concentrating on the differences only builds up unnecessary walls that keep us from relating to each other and lifting each other up.

Maybe I'll say hello again on my next walk and tell him about FitcampSD!  I wouldn't have thought he needed it, but sounds like he could use the physical boost of confidence.

I learned sunset was for 5 p.m. today.  At 4:48 I made my way across the street and up the path to the beach, only to discover I was a few minutes too late to see the full effect.  In the future I'll give myself more time.  However, there was something uplifting about making that appointment with the sun.  At home, I have to say, I take the sun's comings and goings for granted.  

Tonight, my steps bounced, around a few blocks extra, on my way back from the sunset.  When I walked into my place, I poured sparkling water into a wine glass to toast the sun--a ritual I'm looking forward to repeating in these weeks to come. 

My patio just before sunset.
 






1 comment:

  1. I have to admit that I can relate to the comments about holding the stomach in all day.

    ReplyDelete