Wednesday, November 10, 2010

16. ...There's a Way

As I left her office on Wednesday afternoon, my chiropractor's last words were, "I'll let you know, but I'm thinking of joining you in the Hustle Up the Hancock!"

While the reality of walking up 52 flights of stairs is sinking in, at the same time, the desire to meet the challenge is growing stronger.  Further, the desire is spreading.  Cousin Norma in Florida wrote that she is also thinking of making the climb!

Sweet Cousins!
My fitness quest is not uncomplicated however.  Three years ago I was diagnosed with a degenerative arthritis called Facet Joint Disease.
Facet arthritis refers to the inflammation of one or more of the facet joints, which are the linking joints positioned along your spine’s vertebrae. The role of facet joints is to provide stability and motion between the vertebrae. With age, facet joints can thicken and their protective cartilage can harden, leading to pain, swelling and tenderness.

Facet joints are located behind, and between, your spine’s vertebra and are responsible for your spine’s motion and flexibility. After undergoing millions of turning motions every year, however, these joints and their layer of cartilage can break down as you get older.

Contributing causes of  facet disease can include general wear and tear, genetics, poor posture, age, trauma, and obesity.

Symptoms mimic stress fractures, strained muscles and slipped discs, and can include inflammation, lower back pain, muscle spasms, swelling and joint or muscle stiffness.

Isn't that a lovely series of facts! 

My diagnosis coincided with the first time I began going to the gym, the first time I became serious about addressing my fitness.  Not great timing, to say the least.  It has been important to trust my trainer, physical therapists, and the chiropractor over these years, as they have each guided me step by step in a quest to strengthen and align everything around the problem areas, in order to function at the best possible level.

This included setbacks, time-outs, discouragement, and not a small amount of discomfort, but most of all, I learned to work around it all.  I approach preparing for this challenge as one more step in this process. 

While I may be sitting here typing
with a hot water bottle on my back,
while I may have perfect posture some of the time
yet I hobble around stiffly at other times,
 while I may be unsure
how the training to climb almost 1,000 steps will go,
I know what I've learned. 
I can carefully push through it all,
I can rebound
and
I can meet my goals.

While I can,
I will. 

...and anyone who wants to join me --one step at a time--is most welcome, most welcome indeed!

1 comment:

  1. A couple days after posting this, Jill registered for "Hustle Up the Hancock." Yeah, Jill!

    ReplyDelete