Monday, November 8, 2010

14. There will be times when...

                                                    (Stock online photo)

Abundance, it happens!


Long animated discussions into the night, gift catalogues in my mailbox, selections on a buffet, 17-year cicadas in Illinois (one year estimated at one million and a half per acre)...there will be times when we accept the unusual, embrace the unexpected, or enjoy a fullness of blessings.

Last Friday morning was the beginning of  72 hours of  abundance--time uncluttered by routine or responsibilities, shared with two friends I've known since elementary school.  Conversation and laughter definitely reached the abundance level.  When the plethora of food options did also, guilt began to creep in. One friend leaned over, earnestly advising,  "There will be times..."

She did not need to finish the sentence.  Immediately and peacefully, I accepted the situation for what it was, and proceeded to enjoy the cheesecake.  We still have a life to lead, even when working toward a goal.  When  fitness routines or healthy diets are thrown off track by something as wonderful as the love and suppport of close friends who only get together once a year having so much fun, then so be it!
 
So be it, that is, as long as some adjustments are made.  For instance, visiting the hotel fitness room first thing in the morning for a workout before breakfast will serve much better than not!

And, so be it, that is, as long as the revelry is followed by getting right back on track. 

For me, it was briskly climbing 120 steps today, alternating brisk walks or weight work on each landing.  For me, it is knowing that even though I will eat steakhouse leftovers tonight, tomorrow it's back to granola, yogurt, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fish, turkey and chicken... most importantly, not in huge portions and not all at once!

Looking forward to increasing the number of steps with each workout.  This is just a start.
Learned in French class today that the steps from the base of the Eiffel Tower to the second level, number just over 1,000.  My first goal for steps--to comfortably climb 1,000 steps.

4 comments:

  1. Being together with you and Peggy for the weekend was worth every calorie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sure!
    Oh, and instead of going to Paris to climb the steps of the Eiffel Tower this year when I meet the goal of being able to take on that many steps, I've decided to settle for a little diamond Eiffel Tower necklace when the time comes :) Paris in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to laugh about your reward for reaching the goal of climbing 1000 steps comfortably. I'm sure it will look great on you and I want a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I know it sounded very "girlie" to go for the diamonds! :) Oh well. However, not just to sound all materialistic, I'm excited by a new step (or should I say "steps") in this process, that also gives back...check it out at
    http://my.imisfriendraising.com/personalPage.aspx?registrationID=289102&langPref=en-CA

    ReplyDelete