Saturday, August 11, 2012

Twice De-toxed and Re-toxed--Lesson Learned

Update:

July 25th:  I lose eight pounds during an eight day Detox--the least of the benefits.  I feel much more energetic and clear headed!  At the risk of sharing too much information, I experience no more bloating and discomfort after eating.  At the gym my trainer says my face has a new glow.

I  Feel  Good!

The next day I fly to Vegas, fully intending to adhere to my no dairy, no wheat, no meat, eggs, sugar, coffee or alcohol....hahaha!  My resolve holds steady for one day and one evening.  Eating strawberries and sunflower seeds in bed for breakfast the next morning, I rationalize all is well--even though the bottom half of the strawberries are hand dipped in chocolate from Payard's Patisserie.

                                                        
That's all I'll divulge here.  What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.  You can probably figure it out though if I mention a buffet is involved, room service, free drinks and four visits to Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill!

While still fun-filled and exciting, two of my vacation days I experience the old uncomfortable physical side effects to reintroducing all this food.  

My plane arrives back in Chicago five days later--six if you factor in our delay and 3:45 a.m. landing.  The next day I start the Detox over again. 

August 10th:  Second detox completed with similar results as the first,  a pre-planned dinner out with friends confronts me.  These are good friends I only see once a month, it's a beautiful summer evening, and we're dining at my favorite restaurant.  As the evening unfolds minute by minute, I become thoroughly wrapped up in the conversations, our support for each other, a live jazz combo to the left, and view of Michigan Avenue to my right.

Conscious thought takes flight when my inner subconscious patterns place my order as I proceed to thoroughly enjoy the evening. We each go our separate ways...I return home...and suddenly I feel terrible. 

I had been high with energy after the detox.  I felt completely comfortable in my skin...all was right with the world...I felt healthy.  Now, after dinner out, I can't understand why I feel so horrible--not just full, but uncomfortable all over, almost nauseous, and definitely weak. Then I realize what I've done to myself--spinach and artichoke dip & chips, two glasses of wine, Prime Rib French Dip sandwich and fries, and a shared banana cream pie dessert.  Yikes!  This is exactly how I use to order before I embarked on my healthy eating journey.

Sick for several hours, I paid the consequences.  Some learn in one lesson, others in two.  I take multiple lessons, but I learn a little bit more each time.  However, this time, I'm leaping ahead.

August 11th:  Detoxes over, I spend the whole day today preparing healthy food for the coming week.  I do not want to feel the way I did after indulging last night, ever again. 

Planning and preparation so key, this evening I have a refrigerator full of vegetables, salmon, homemade vegetable broth, chia seed puddings, sesame tofu, fresh fruits and all my morning smoothie ingredients and supplements.

Thoroughly enjoying my vegetable soup for dinner.


Cheryl's Vegetable Soup

Bring to a boil and then simmer, copious amounts of kale and spinach,
cabbage, fresh cilantro and basil, carrots, onion, and celery. 
Remove cooked vegetables and puree them in blender
with a little unsweetened coconut milk. 
Return puree to broth.
Season to taste with sea salt, ground pepper & garlic,
a bit of cayenne, and a small amount of raw honey.
Roast butternut squash, cube and add at the end,
along with black beans and one cubed potato. 
Seriously delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment