Saturday, February 26, 2011

Ascending

February 27th, Sunday morning, I'll share the stairwell with thousands of climbers in "Hustle Up the Hancock's" stair race to the 94th floor.  My half-climb starts on the 42nd floor and ends 816 steps later in the skyscraper's observatory at the very top.  My visualization of that moment has empowered the many weeks of preparation.

Today's visualization, lofty and grandiose, will no doubt differ from the actual experience tomorrow. There will be time enough when it's all over, for the details of reality. 

For right now, I accept the lofty and grandiose side of my personality--today's visualization of tomorrow's climb:

This is not a test.  I already proved I can do it last weekend at a friend's high-rise.

I climb for the child in me who wants to play--with others, outside, every day--but who was not allowed.

I climb for the girl in me who didn't have an opportunity to be pushed physically by excelling in a sport.

I climb for the young adult in me who sought and searched, paid dues, settled down and closed down.

I climb for the mother in me who willingly poured everything possible into my children and forgot about myself.

I climb for the wife in me who continues to learn every day how to bring a better "me" to the relationship.

I climb for God's spirit in me which guides my steps.

I climb for the goal-seeker in me, the bull-dog in me, and the tenderness.

I climb for those who can't.

I climb for today.

One hundred to health.
Two hundred to fitness.
Three hundred to love.
Four hundred to the sun.
Five hundred to inspiration.
Six hundred to gratitude.
Seven hundred to creativity

and

Eight hundred to connectivity.

I carry words, calls, messages, looks and hugs of love and support with me all the way.

I climb the last sixteen steps, to Honor--

     16  my breath
     15  my history
     14  my family
     13  my words
     12  arms
     11  legs
     10  thoughts
       9  emotions
       8  decisions
       7  ideas
       6  water
       5  wakefulness
       4  sleep
       3  sight

       2    vision

                 and

       1          ...the moment!

I walk through the open door, out of the stairwell,
and into the light...

One step at a time.

2 comments:

  1. YOU ARE AWESOME! We will be cheering you on from "behind the scenes"....You will soar up and up and up. I wish we were there to share in your celebration and victory. Love you Cheryl!
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete